Doctor of Science (D.Sc.): What is it about?
Syllabus, Scope and Salary
The Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) is the highest post doctoral degrees of the university. The university shall award D.Sc. Degree in the disciplines of Science, Engineering, Technology and other related areas. Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) is a 2-year full-time Doctorate course in Literature. A government, private, deemed colleges offer Doctor of Literature course. Every college and university has their own eligibility criteria, admission process, fees structure, and syllabus for this course.
Any researcher, who has been awarded Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) degree in the disciplines of Science, Engineering, Technology and other related areas by this university or degree recognized equivalent thereto from any other university may present his/her candidacy for the degree of Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) if he/she has the following eligibility criteria:
- Done Post-doctoral work in Business, Humanities, Social Sciences, Design, Creative Arts and other related areas for a minimum period of 2 years in a University recognized by University Grants Commission or any other recognized research institute or foreign university
- He/she should have published at least 50 research publications in SSCI journals with the impact factor more than 0.5 or 40 research publications in SSCI journals with the impact factor more than 0.5 and 5 books of research value by reputed publishers
- The h-index of the candidate should be greater than 20 for applying D.Sc.
- At least three recommendations/ referrals of his research/contribution from nationally/internationally recognized experts of concerned ﬁeld
- The publications or thesis submitted by him/her for consideration for the award of D.Litt. are substantially from the result of the research work done after his/her Ph.D. degree.
- His/her work and efforts has made distinct contributions to the society and advancement of knowledge.
- He /She should have been a regular employee in a University / affiliated colleges / any other university / research institute for a period of not less than 15 years after obtaining his/her Ph.D. degree and should have carried out research work with consistent record in any of the above categories of institutions recognized for purpose of advanced research, located in India.
- A candidate already holding D.Sc. / D.Litt. degree in a particular Faculty is eligible to register for D.Sc. / D.Litt. in another faculty after two years, provided that he/she fulfils the conditions laid down in the above points are fulfilled.
Usually candidates must hold a Ph.D with minimum two years of research work after PhD, but some renowned universities like BHU demands a research experience of minimum 4 years. Honorary Doctorate degrees are also given by the universities/Colleges. An honorary degree is an academic degree for which a university (or other degree-awarding institution) has waived all of the usual requirements, such as matriculation, attendance, course credits, a dissertation, and the passing of comprehensive examinations. But the applicant may not get the academic position because of the honorary degree awarded. The person with only an honorary degree cannot use it or pass it as a tertiary’s trained skill and advertise as such in a business.